CyberJAMZ Forums  

Go Back   CyberJAMZ Forums > Discussions > Parties, DJ mixes, misc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Registered

Default Woop - The Mutha EP : Slinky Funk + House From BaxxBeatMusic

Artist: Woop
Release TItle: The Mutha EP
Remixers: Bobbie Dallas and Kez YM
Label: BaxxBeatMusic (BBM007)

To listen to previews of tracks from Woop’s The Mutha EP click HERE

Introducing the new BaxxBeatMusic vinyl release by DJ and producer Woop, resident DJ of the legendary Le Founque in Hamburg. The Mutha EP comes with a dirty old-school vibe, which is not surprising, when you take a look at Woop's musical background.

After some band activities in the early nineties Michael aka Woop started his career as a DJ with several party series at the Reeperbahn. In these days he discovered his true love": funk and everything in between, especially from the retro years. Over time Woop's vinyl collection and artist ambitions increased leading to the release of his first two 12" Mash Ups in 2005. Today Woop's DJ playground is located in the clubs and bars at the so called Schanze in Hamburg.

The Mutha EP is the first solo release by Woop and shows a perfect cross-section of his taste in music and Nu Funk, Disco and Soulful House. The EP starts off with the soundtrack inspired "Sundown Chase" which rides a punchy bassline all the way. A suspenseful Nu Funk opener with smooth Rhodes, funky clav, jazzy trumpet solo and a catchy analog synth hook line. Beware of the heavy drumbreaks! The second track "In The Jungle," no less bass driven than the previous, is an upfront afro-funk flavored disco house groover combining J.B. vocal stabs with the distinct Fela Kuti feel and skillful percussive fills. Next, "The Mutha" is a true disco-funk house banger featuring a dirty unison clav and solid bassline with soulful vocal samples praising the mutha of all modern dancefloor music: Funk!

On to the remixes: It was Woop's strictly electronic alter ego DJ Code who selected Bobbie Dallas and Kez YM as Remixers for BBM007. Actually we don't know much about Bobbie Dallas. Believe it or not, this guy doesn’t even have a MySpace or Facebook account. But he knows how to drop some tight grooves. Best proof of this fact is his uplifting 7 minute long house remix of "The Mutha" with heavy usage of rhodes and vintage synth licks and improvisations, as well as classic house vocal samples. DJ / producer Kez YM (Yore Records) from Tokyo made a name for himself in the house scene early in his musical career. His releases and remixes have been supported by Gilles Peterson, Jazzanova and Patrice Scott, just to name a few. No wonder why Code aka Woop chose Kez YM as remixer for "The Mutha". His warm, hypnotic and very deep house remix closes the EP in a superior way.

Chuck Love - "Sundown Chase is such a classic summertime breaker! So slick and smooth, really well done. And The Mutha is so legit! I almost feel like Curtis Mayfield should be crooning over it. All 3 versions offer their own different brand of funk without being too close to one another. Spectacular release!"
Peter Kruder (Kruder / Dorfmeister) - "I like Sundown Chase. Old skool, but in a good way. The Kez YM remix of The Mutha is also sweet."
Mark Farina - "Funky jams!"
Ashley Beedle - "It's the Kez YM Remix of The Mutha for me. Love those chords!"
All Good Funk Alliance - "The Mutha (Kez YM Remix) is a clear winner here/ Great keys and edits and a perfect summer day jam."
Ohmega Watts - "Great additions to some familiar rare groove funk records I've dug up. Great well rounded 12" with funk/house-ish cuts, solid for the dance floor or breakdance cypher."
Giom - "Awesome. I'm really liking this EP. The Bobbie Dallas mix will get plenty of plays and Kez YM kills it as usual. Great work."
Toka Project - "I love this EP. Great selection of funk tracks and vibes and flavours! The Bobbie Dallas Remix is my pick for the dancefloors but loving In The Jungle, too."

Additional support from Doc Martin, Nickodemus (Turntables On The Hudson), Joshua Heath. Freddy Fresh. Soul Minority, Robert Owens, Dublex Inc, Random Soul, Anthony Mansfield, Kid Loco, Tony Humphries, Michael Reinboth (Compost), Funky Transport, Moodymanc, Quincy Jointz, Onionz

Now available as digital download from: Juno Download / Beatport / EMusic
Also available on vinyl 12" from these esteemed retailers: Juno Records / BBM Shop / HHV / Groovedis

BaxxBeatMusic on the web: http://www.baxxbeatmusic.de/