CyberJAMZ Forums  

Go Back   CyberJAMZ Forums > Discussions > Parties, DJ mixes, misc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2008, 04:41 PM
dhoyos

Default Lula Speaks!!

Here is the image of the printed interview of LULA on HX. if you click on it you can read the published HX interview on the HX site (The DIVA Issue OCT 2008).

IN ADDITION: BELOW THIS IMAGE there is LULA’s longer edit of her HX Magazine Interview!
(HX published only 1/3 of the whole interview… read the whole story below!)

1 Tell me a little bit about your relationship with the gay community in particular when you were living in NYC between 1993 and 2000. Which gay men influenced you and your career most?

1: well, first of all I have to tell you, as long as I can remember the majority of my friends were gay men. What else can one need? Who could be better friends than my gay male friends? No one. In 1994 I won an aerobic competition at the gay games in NYC, i have my gold Medal right here. of course all my fabulous trainers were gay man. And one of them, the wonderful, always happy Jim Shallal, took me to Cafe Con Leche at sound factory bar and to junior at sound factory. Jim was a biiiiiiiig influence for me. Without him I would not have started going to these places so often. and I would not have won gold either!
Junior Vasques of course taught my ears how music in a club should sound like. Oh my.... his unbelievable music taste... it was 100% pure, dark, underground... the best. THE BEST. I could cry thinking of his music and the feeling in that place... aaaahhhhh.
And then of course Danny Tenaglia when SF became Twilo. Meeting him and hanging out with him was one of the best things that happened to me ever. All the great people I met through him. All this great music he introduced me to. And of course the fact that he let me get behind the microphone.... without him I wouldn’t have any record out until this day, I believe.

2 How's the gay scene in Austria? Do you have a lot of gay friends in your life there?

2. Yeah, same here like in NY.... the best parties are gay, OF COURSE, the only parties I go to are gay, of course, almost all my friends are gay men, of course. Always were, always will be.
When I have a party in my house, mostly I´m the only woman. Just cute guys all over the place, with six packs, hanging out, barbecuing, cooking, listening to music, having a good time, laughing together and all that. That’s when I feel happy and free.

3 Many of our readers won't have experienced Twilo, to which you pay homage in your latest single, "Twilo." What made that particular club so special, and what impact did it have on you?

3. Twilo... Twilo... oh God... its part of my life. I‘m SPECIFICALLY talking about Sunday mornings at Twilo. It was the most perfect place of them all. Everything there. Everybody there. All the promoters, the security guys, door men, bar men, dancers.... (Oh my ... Ray, Marcello, and Ivan… I m sure everybody remembers these mega sexy guys?) All the friends I made there.... sooooo many. And I loved them all so much. What times we had there. It was all love, happiness. Every week. For all of us. And of course the sound system. To die for. The big, black speakers right next to our bodies. We could feel every sound, every beat in our heart and souls. Coming right at us from the dj booth were Danny was doing his magic. Danny’s music was to die for.... these were the best nights of my life. Filled with friends, laughter, love and tears. We let all our emotions out right there on the dance floor. No worries to be judged or criticized. We were all a big family that night.
Thank god I had the privilege to be there. Every weekend. We couldn’t miss it. I lived for it. We all lived for it. It was our heaven. Our paradise... enough..... I have to stop.... I get too too sentimental...

4 It all began there, as the lyrics say, in front of the speaker. How might your life have turned out had you never discovered that club?

4. Actually this great, great club in the 80ies in Vienna called the U4 got dark, underground music and me hooked on nightclubs. It was THE place to be in Europe at that time actually. Falco was there, Sade, Prince, everybody went there. It was like a small Sound Factory. Great sound system, very dark, and cool people. I started going there when I was 16 years old and from the first night on I was hooked. Really. I felt like I couldn’t live without these nights anymore. I was absorbing it all, listening to the music, feeling whatever there was to feel, even falling asleep behind the speakers sometimes, with the beat banging inside of me. (And of course I was falling asleep in school the next day, too). But I loved it. looooooved it.
And then when I came to NYC the best place to be for me was the old Sound Factory with Junior. So actually before Twilo was born I was all the way in the speaker with all my heart.
Twilo was the icing on the cake of course. That’s where Danny started noticing me when I was all over this big, black speaker for hours and hours. That’s were I met all the great producers like Cevin Fisher, Johnny Vicious, Merritt. Everybody who loved music was there. And because of Danny I am Lula now. And I met even more wonderful producers. If it wasn’t for him and Twilo I wouldn’t have the honor to answer to your interesting questions right now. It’s fabulous.

5 Tell me a little bit about the message of "Last Night A Dj Saved My Life (While A Dj Gave Me Trouble)." We can imagine that Danny Tenaglia saved your life in a way, but how did a DJ also give you trouble? And were there any other DJs who have "saved you" over the years?

5. Yeah Danny saved my life many times in the past, also Dj Vibe. Now this days its Eddie Cumana, Carlos Fauvrelle, Jiggy and Kobbe who took over. I need to be saved a lot.... and they are always there for me when I need them. They are all so nice to me. That’s why I love them....
The overall message of my song is that some DJs have the ability to change our life with their music journeys. Using the Artists lyrics just at the right time the Dj has the strength to open up doors in our soul we did not know existed. We can get answers, we can see the light, we can find the right way when we are lost right on the dancefloor. A Dj can give us the information we need through a song they are playing. They can save our life with a song. It’s the truth. They let us feel their soul through their music. You can just feel what they feel and I love that. I am on my knees when a Dj gives me a piece of that inner feeling. When he allows me to get a glimps of his heart and soul and this song is a tool in that journey. What I don’t love, what I detest are the ones that want bad things to happen to other people and I am not featuring them in a good light.
Sadly there is this NYC based Dj who has been giving me and my label Kult Records some dirty, annoying DRAMA. He has also been telling the craziest lies about me. One is that I had disappeared somewhere in the country side of Austria, fell in a deep depression and I was nowhere to be reached for years.... hahahaha.... how ridiculous....
Thank God my great producer Eddie Cumana, my lawyer and my big strong Papa Joe are sending him DOWN THE DRAIN. Ah! Ah! Bye, bye.... HAHAHAHA!
NEXT!

6 This interview will appear in our "DIVA" Music Issue. Do you consider yourself a diva of dance music?

6. Diva? Me? I don’t think so. No, no, no. Well, I don’t know.... maybe? Maybe a little?
I don’t like to cook; I don’t like to clean... I want my photos retouched so that nobody sees my wrinkles.... I hate, hate, and hate to wait in line to get in a club. I hate, hate, and hate not to be on some guest list. I like it when people know me at the door, when I get in for free (not a money issue.... just a principle...), when I get a VIP pass, when I don’t have to get my drinks from the bar myself.... well, what do you call somebody like me? A bitch? Hahahaha… or a Diva? You choose, please. And let me know! hahahaha.... its 2 am and now I m getting silly....

THANKS SOOOOOOO MUCH TO BE IN THE DIVA ISSUE OF HX.... IT’S A HUGE HONOUR! Really. I would have never, ever dreamed to be in your magazine. And thanks to all my fans. I really, really appreciate every single soul who listens to my tracks and to what I have to say. I love you all.

If you wanna know more about LULA and ask her questions regarding this interview, sign ON to her new PERSONAL message board coming soon at www.lulainthespeaker.com