CyberJAMZ Forums  

Go Back   CyberJAMZ Forums > Discussions > Parties, DJ mixes, misc.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Registered

Default Brett Johnson's Missing You (Deep House on EIGHT-TRACKS)

Artist: Brett Johnson
Release Title: Missing You
Remixers: Q-Burns Abstract Message, Alland Byallo
Label: EIGHT-TRACKS
Catalog Number: 8TR008

To listen to Brett Johnson's Missing You click HERE.

After years of intense negotiation, EIGHT-TRACKS has finally been able to snag an otherworldly release from our favorite psychedelic warrior, renowned DJ/producer Brett Johnson. Brett should need no introduction with his checkered past of releasing top notch bleeps and booms for labels like Classic Music Company, Freerange, and his own Aesoteric imprint. The last few years has found Brett wandering the globe and evading capture but finally our EIGHT-TRACKS team of techno-investigators were able to track him down at his Dallas-based secret headquarters. The result of this confrontation is "Missing You," a gloriously melancholy cut that successfully bridges Brett's affinity for potent house rhythms, Detroit-bred bass lines, and decidedly deeper intentions. It satisfies that necessary primal groove as it successfully strums the heartstrings.

Imprisoned studio warlock Q-Burns Abstract Message was on hand to complement "Missing You" with a suspiciously spacious remix. Drawing inspiration from a pile of broken King Tubby records, Q-BAM's version rattles within a moisture-soaked cell block, building into an analog epiphany further enhanced through a steaming, dusty spring reverb box. Totally slinky for the dancefloor, it aims to beguile the rarely hypnotized.

San Francisco's KONTROL freak Alland Byallo was also enlisted to provide his magic touch to this already enchanted offering. Byallo's treatment finds pounding machinery giving way to a concrete funk, layers of vocal drones and synth bellows providing an aural blanket sprinkled in shimmering melody. Alland's hefty production strips "Missing You" of its melancholy and trades that for an ominous march, providing peak time fireworks when carefully placed in a DJ's set.

Brett Johnson returns to close out the single, wrestling a Space Bump Dub from his original scheme. Here a steady bounce holds the structure as strident tones confront calming synth pads. The vocal from the original returns, now serving as a warm, reassuring force amidst the digital surroundings. The space between the beats matter here, with the listener/dancer given room to comfortably navigate the exotic sonic landscape. It's deep stuff.

Brett Johnson's original and Space Bump Dub were mastered by C-Rock of Motorcitysoul while the remixes were mastered by EIGHT-TRACKS' own Atnarko. The artwork college is by Kyle Eagle (www.myspace.com/olekyleeagle).

EIGHT-TRACKS welcomes you to embrace Brett Johnson's "Missing You" and its crafty reworks, our first statement of 2010 and an encouraging signal for things to come.

Philip Sherburne (Pitchfork/The Wire) – “I’m really feeling the original and the dub alike … such lovely chords and compelling grooves, and that bass! Wonderful.”
Josh Wink (Ovum, US) – “It’s all about the original one. Deep and jackin’!”
Laurent Garnier (DJ, France) – “More lovely deepness from the man. I will play this.”
Doc Martin (DJ, US) – “I’m feeling Q-Burns Abstract Message’s dub vibrations!”
John Selway (DJ, US) – “Brett’s Space Bump Dub for the win!”
Demarkus Lewis (DJ, UK) – “Classic Brett Johnson. I’m loving the Dub and Alland's mix. Very nice!”
Chris Fortier (DJ, US) – “I dig the Space Bump Dub and Alland Byallo’s Remix for my sets. Also, the Q-Burns Abstract Message Remix is very smooth and nice.”
Bangana / Sumo (DJ, Sweden) – “I like the atmospheric sound of the Q.”
Greg Oreck (Thugfucker) – “A fine release from a fine collection of fellows. Nice!”
Deepchild (DJ, Germany) – “Wow. The Q-Burns Abstract Message Remix is disco-tastic, whilst Alland Byallo brings the toughness. A tidy little package.”
Jay West (DJ, Argentina) – “A very solid release. The Space Bump Dub reminds me of the old good days. I will definitely support this!”
Llorca (DJ, France)“Wow... Alland Byallo's remix is the bomb! But if have to say the whole EP is great. It’s definitely in my (virtual) record-bag.”
Gavin Hardkiss (DJ, US) – “A seriously sick mix by Mr. Q-Burns Abstract Message.”
Michal Ho (Tuning Spork) – “I’m loving the whole release, The original and Space Bump Dub are my faves.”
Pete Dafeet (Lost My Dog, UK) – “This is beautiful. Nobody programs beats as well as Mr Johnson. I like the remixes too, but the original is my favorite.”
Jay Tripwire (DJ, Canada) – “Yeah, this is great. I love the original mix and Alland’s mix a lot. I will play for sure.”
Voitek (Catz n Dogz, Germany) – “One of my favorite tracks at the moment. Pure funk. I love it!”
Justin Martin (Dirtybird, US) – “Beautiful.”
Stacey Pullen (DJ, US) – “Hot hot hot!”
Alexi Delano (DJ, US) – “XLNT!!”

Now available from Beatport / Stompy / Traxsource / Juno Download / iTunes

For more information go to EIGHT-TRACKS.com