CyberJAMZ Forums  

Go Back   CyberJAMZ Forums > Discussions > cyberTalk

Old 06-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Founder of Cyberjamz

Thumbs up What do you really think about the "Sych" button?

There has been much debate about the dreaded "SYNC" button that come in some programs like Serato & Traktor..

I for one don't own any of these 2 programs to mix but I know alot of people that do and all I can say is that I've seen the DJs work the mix !! Not using the sync button but actually mixing a set ! and they do a hellva of job doing so.I've heard from many djs including Dj Housecat tell me that it's actually not an option for her or many other djs to use the synch button because it really DOES NOT synch the mix for you.

What do you think? btw Housecat rocks that mix !! and I'm not being biased.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 AM

Cool Sync button!

Well I learned by not using the sync button and I'm learning quite quickly I might add! Mr. Michael Menton taught me by using pitch control so I wouldn't know about sync button at all! to me your taking the easy way out but that is my opinion!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Founder of Cyberjamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire45 View Post
Well I learned by not using the sync button and I'm learning quite quickly I might add! Mr. Michael Menton taught me by using pitch control so I wouldn't know about sync button at all! to me your taking the easy way out but that is my opinion!
and that's wassup Sapphire.I've heard some nice improvements in your delivery and mixing.. good job Michael Menton !
Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Founder of Cyberjamz

*waits for Housecat's take on this subject* it's one of her favorite topix LOL
Old 06-30-2013, 02:25 PM

Default ahh the infamous synch button

Just a clarification I use Serato software with a Pioneer controller. This allows me not to have to go through the exercise of burning and organizing cds, and it is a much less expensive route as well.

The synch button is not in the Serato software but it is physically located on the Pioneer controller. I am sure when its activated its appears as such in the display. There is a synch button on each deck. I have never used the synch button in order to mix or for any other reason. However, there seems to be a preconceived notion that because you use Serato or a controller for that matter that you must be using the synch button.

Serato does not mix for you, nor does it select the music you play. The synch button cannot help you be a better dj, cannot help you read a crowd, cannot help you select the right music to play so why so much concentration on the synch button?

Interesting the synch button is now on certain cdjs such as the Pioneer nexxus 2000s. Why was it placed there? Pioneer is the leader in technology in regards to providing dj equipment to djs who are future forward. There are several djs who use the synch button for the purpose of creativity. Example if you were creating a remix on the fly, and have three decks going wouldn't it be easier to have one deck locked in on a beat and you work the other two. Bottom line is this its good to embrace technology but respect the skills needed to be a dj. On another note, the synch button is not preventing djs from getting gigs, might want to take a closer look in the mirror as well as your skill.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Founder of Cyberjamz

Interesting reply Dj Housecat.

The reason why Pioneer added the sync button on their Cdjs is more for the "new" dj's or those that would like to explore the process of "how to blend".

Just my $0 cents.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:25 PM

The reason why Pioneer added the synch button:
The Debut of Hardware Sync

Predictably, there is an entire sect of DJs who have now dedicated their lives to crucifying Pioneer in their decision to add sync functionality to the devices.
The question that I would pose is, how could Pioneer not include this functionality? I’m honestly surprised it took this long. This is obviously a topic for another time, but… beatmatching is a skill which, like it or not, has been losing relevance for years. If Pioneer’s approach is truly to start phasing laptops back out of the DJ booth, at least we can look forward to a reduction in “Serato face”… that is, the zombie-like screen staring that plagues many a concentrating DJ. It would almost be silly for Pioneer to not include this function at this point. Sure, it’s one more step towards making DJing more accessible to the layperson… but that barrier was kicked down long ago. The standard CDJ-2000 almost seems inherently obsolete for not including it. And, the simple fact of the matter is… you don’t have to use it.
Instead of moping over changes in technology and the scene, why not start thinking of ways to do it better? Start coming up with your own definition of how to become a better DJ. Maybe you can use the technology to your advantage, using the knowledge and expertise you already have, to do new and exciting things. Don’t use technology or accessibility as an excuse for laziness. DJing should be more than a series of transitions!
Hardware sync is not going to make garbage DJs any better, and it’s not going to make good DJs any worse. It will only make lazy DJs of any skill level much more vanilla if they define their style by how well the kick and snare drums line up. My only hope is that DJs who have a true passion for their craft can no focus on the more important aspects of DJing. You may consider making yourself stand out by showing your art, not your skills.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Founder of Cyberjamz

we need some more feedback and opinions about this much debated subject !