CyberJAMZ Forums  
Old 02-01-2006, 04:55 PM
easytracks

Default Macintosh help

Entered the URL carefully into the current version of Windows Media Player, as well as Flip4Mac enabled Quicktime and got an error message.

"Cannot open the file. Verify that the path and filename are correct and try again."

used: "http://cyberjamz.com/live.php"

I saw someone else with the same problem earlier but no helpful suggestions. Is this functioning correctly on other people's Macintoshes? I have current version of Tiger installed.

Thanks,
e
Old 02-01-2006, 05:21 PM
easytracks

Default neva mind

found it in another post here: "http://cyberjamz.com:8000/listen.pls" in iTunes does the trick.

Any chance of higher streaming rate in the future? (iTunes says 32 kbps)

e
Old 02-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Sharp az a Razah ..

Lightbulb

Hey, glad you figured it out. As for the stream, it all depends on who is broadcasting. Since you tuned in on the ShoutCast then a ShoutCast broadcaster was on when you were tuning in.

Our ShoutCast broadcasters are on shoutcast becasue they don't meet the system requirements to stream to the WindowsMedia server. Those requirements are:

- Windows 2k or XP
- Pentium class PC

Our shoutcast broadcasters vary in OS and some are even on MAC's. There in lies the problem in that older MAC's and Windows PC's less than XP or 2k are usually limited in hardware config. As a result, the streams are set lower to accommodate for the user's PC. Additionally, the Shoutcast users are exceedingly on DSL and some DSL upstream bandwidth is limited to less than 100k. To stream a 44.1kHz stereo, 128kbps stream would max out the user's connection and kick or buffer the stream excessively. To remedy this, we have established that our shoutcast users keep their streams limited to 56k mono, 44.1kHz. But it's all limited to the encoder type software the user is using. There are various and this is a source of confusion at time.

To standardize things, we have agreed that the WindowsMedia server will be the default media server in the near future as we are phasing out the shoutcast server. We don't want to shut anyone out so this date isn't set yet and will be established sometime this year.

Additionally, to standardize things some more, we have established the link:
http://cyberjamz.com/live.php

This is a script that generates the appropriate metafile and downloads it to the user's PC. This script, however, only delivers an .asx file that will only fireup the WindowsMedia play on whatever platform you are on. If Windows Media player is properly configured with all it's streaming protocols enabled, it will read the shoutcast stream. The URL contained in the .asx for shoutcast is:
http://cyberjamz.com:8000/

The URL for the windows media stream is:
mms://wm.cyberjamz.com/live

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by easytracks
found it in another post here: "http://cyberjamz.com:8000/listen.pls" in iTunes does the trick.

Any chance of higher streaming rate in the future? (iTunes says 32 kbps)

e
Old 02-02-2006, 05:43 PM
easytracks

Thanks for the detailed response.

Last night I found only the link: wm.cyberjamz.com/live to work on my OS 10.3 and OS 10.4 Macs. The cyberjamz:8000 did nothing in iTunes or Quicktime (I tried a ton of variations on the link too), and your main link is not recognized by neither Mac's version of windows media player nor flip4mac.

Hope that helps with your development and thanks for providing a great source for real music!

-e
Old 02-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Sharp az a Razah ..

Okay, I think I see the confusion. The shoutcast stream or http://cyberjamz.com:8000/listen.pls only works when a shoutcast user is streaming. If you were tuning in in the windows media link wm.cyberjamz.com/live then it would not be repeated on the shoutcast server and that link would be dead.

The [live.php] link is supposed to send the appropriate metafile to your browser and then fire up the WindowsMedia player. I think it might depend on how your browser handles headers and redirects however and most likely, some MAC broswers might not pass the correct headers to download the correct metafile. The only way to remedy this is to have the links posted (as they are in the help section) and then be manually input in the media player of your choice and the OS in question.

But ultimately, a windows media only system would be the cure-all for this situation. It's just VERY hard to get folks to abandon thier MAC's and switch to a modern Windows PC to stream to the main cj server.

But thanks very much for your feedback and I hope my explanations clarify the nuts and bolts of the cyberJAMZ framework

Quote:
Originally Posted by easytracks
Thanks for the detailed response.

Last night I found only the link: wm.cyberjamz.com/live to work on my OS 10.3 and OS 10.4 Macs. The cyberjamz:8000 did nothing in iTunes or Quicktime (I tried a ton of variations on the link too), and your main link is not recognized by neither Mac's version of windows media player nor flip4mac.

Hope that helps with your development and thanks for providing a great source for real music!

-e
Old 02-02-2006, 08:37 PM
easytracks

yeah, very helpful. thanks!

e
Old 02-12-2006, 05:11 PM
chris conrad

Question

nestor, have we considered Quicktime streaming? not sure if the specifics would work for what we do, but read some interesting stuff about quicktime broadcasting while researching some mac stuff. i do use the shoutcast server now to broadcast because of my system configuration. i will be phasing out pc's altogether very soon and switching to mac. i don't plan on having an additional windows box for anything. i do have another windows xp pc on my netowrok, but its way in the other room and primarily used by somebody else and does not have a decent sound card like i do, justthe crappy motherbopard built in audio...ive thought about possibly buying a cheaper windows laptop with external audio interface just for broadcast use but am not crazy about the idea.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:19 AM
Sharp az a Razah ..

Actually, I have tried to set up the Darwin server (windows quick-time) but you can only stream on demand files from it. The full version runs into the thousands so that's out of the question. But you might consider getting a cheap windows box for audio as we plan on phasing out shoutcast sometime in the summer. This descision is not final yet, but the extra baggage of the Shoutcast system creates massive headaches when trying to troubleshoot these user's problems. It seems they blow their configuration out periodically and then the Site/Server take the blame, go figure!

But anyway, I've seen windows boxes go as low as $299 so that's could be a consideration. But I also have a used dell with all the fixin's, I can part with it for $100... PM me if you're interested..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris conrad
nestor, have we considered Quicktime streaming? not sure if the specifics would work for what we do, but read some interesting stuff about quicktime broadcasting while researching some mac stuff. i do use the shoutcast server now to broadcast because of my system configuration. i will be phasing out pc's altogether very soon and switching to mac. i don't plan on having an additional windows box for anything. i do have another windows xp pc on my netowrok, but its way in the other room and primarily used by somebody else and does not have a decent sound card like i do, justthe crappy motherbopard built in audio...ive thought about possibly buying a cheaper windows laptop with external audio interface just for broadcast use but am not crazy about the idea.