View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 05:40 AM
Registered

Default New Reviews...

- DJ PELAU – “(Spiritual Blessings Give the Glory Mix): Early Sunday morning rise-to-go-to-church type of soul, that gospel soul. Gets the soul awake, before it's set free - I'm feeling this but only restricted to this mode. I'd predict this wouldn't really fly for a dancefloor until the crowd is fully broken into. The musicianship in this is excellent, seems like something for major radio play on black radio in the gospel belt of America too. The horns just make this track one of those quality cuts most wouldn't fuck with...
(Ciappy dj & Davide Murri Classful Mix): Similar to the above, but less exciting - still maintains its soulful/gospel edge, but somehow not as festive and church-happy as the above mix. This one is 'just' cool...no major props here...
(Dolls Combers MonaLeslie Mix): This one is rich chocolate, soulful yes, but even more funky - I'll tell you when those organs and rhodes join in, I can see Jesus sliding across the dancefloor (and my eyes are closed!). So to me this one gets under your skin easier than the rest, it's those chords that strike 'chords' in your soul to revive your spirit...and the background supportive music throughout this is just pretty man...lovely keyboard wizards on this!
(Spiritual Blessings Shout Praises Dub): Dancefloor is starting to get a little packed now. Vox Echoes, vocal reverb and the right minimalist bassline, there's a party about to jump off! This is the one I want my skull pressed against the speaker for, if I'm crazy that is. Insane energy if you're getting the 'worshippers' to bless the dancefloor! STRONG track here, no doubt. Sometimes it's the simplest techniques that have the most potent effects!
(Alex Dimitri South Soul Dub): I could see Quentin Harris bumping this one - that techy soul vibe he loves to throw into his sets. It got a sort of edgey, offbeat bassline almost like a mistake that works because the rhythm ain't looking backwards, only focused on pushing through the tunnel of bright-lights and major club energy. Not one of my favorite mixes here, but I know there's a lot of tech heads out there...”

- RAY FENWICK (Converge/Diamondhouse Records) “Another nice release from you guys. My favs are (Spiritual Blessings shout praises dub) and (Dolls Combers MoněLeslie Mix). Already got these two in my record bag and playing them out in the warm up. Nice vocals on these tracks, very cool and chilled.”