View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 05:25 PM

The reason why Pioneer added the synch button:
The Debut of Hardware Sync

Predictably, there is an entire sect of DJs who have now dedicated their lives to crucifying Pioneer in their decision to add sync functionality to the devices.
The question that I would pose is, how could Pioneer not include this functionality? I’m honestly surprised it took this long. This is obviously a topic for another time, but… beatmatching is a skill which, like it or not, has been losing relevance for years. If Pioneer’s approach is truly to start phasing laptops back out of the DJ booth, at least we can look forward to a reduction in “Serato face”… that is, the zombie-like screen staring that plagues many a concentrating DJ. It would almost be silly for Pioneer to not include this function at this point. Sure, it’s one more step towards making DJing more accessible to the layperson… but that barrier was kicked down long ago. The standard CDJ-2000 almost seems inherently obsolete for not including it. And, the simple fact of the matter is… you don’t have to use it.
Instead of moping over changes in technology and the scene, why not start thinking of ways to do it better? Start coming up with your own definition of how to become a better DJ. Maybe you can use the technology to your advantage, using the knowledge and expertise you already have, to do new and exciting things. Don’t use technology or accessibility as an excuse for laziness. DJing should be more than a series of transitions!
Hardware sync is not going to make garbage DJs any better, and it’s not going to make good DJs any worse. It will only make lazy DJs of any skill level much more vanilla if they define their style by how well the kick and snare drums line up. My only hope is that DJs who have a true passion for their craft can no focus on the more important aspects of DJing. You may consider making yourself stand out by showing your art, not your skills.