Thread: Macintosh help
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2006, 02:19 AM
Sharp az a Razah ..

Actually, I have tried to set up the Darwin server (windows quick-time) but you can only stream on demand files from it. The full version runs into the thousands so that's out of the question. But you might consider getting a cheap windows box for audio as we plan on phasing out shoutcast sometime in the summer. This descision is not final yet, but the extra baggage of the Shoutcast system creates massive headaches when trying to troubleshoot these user's problems. It seems they blow their configuration out periodically and then the Site/Server take the blame, go figure!

But anyway, I've seen windows boxes go as low as $299 so that's could be a consideration. But I also have a used dell with all the fixin's, I can part with it for $100... PM me if you're interested..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris conrad
nestor, have we considered Quicktime streaming? not sure if the specifics would work for what we do, but read some interesting stuff about quicktime broadcasting while researching some mac stuff. i do use the shoutcast server now to broadcast because of my system configuration. i will be phasing out pc's altogether very soon and switching to mac. i don't plan on having an additional windows box for anything. i do have another windows xp pc on my netowrok, but its way in the other room and primarily used by somebody else and does not have a decent sound card like i do, justthe crappy motherbopard built in audio...ive thought about possibly buying a cheaper windows laptop with external audio interface just for broadcast use but am not crazy about the idea.